The Institute for Biological and Medical Engineering (IBME) is an interdisciplinary academic unit of the Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile (UC) belonging simultaneously to the Schools of Engineering, Medicine and Biological Sciences. The Institute is developing research and teaching in four main areas: Biomedical Imaging, Cell and Molecular Biology, Tissue Engineering, Quantitative Physiology and Biomechanics. In this context, the IBME has created an innovative Master of Science program that focus on interdiscipline, internationalization and entrepreneurship. The mail goal of the program is to train advanced human capital able to generate new knowledge and technology in Biological and Medical Engineering areas. The program will also contribute to promote technology transfer to the society through the research developed during the program, and after the incorporation of the new Master’s graduates to the industry, academy or through technological and innovative entrepreneurships.
Applicants must have an university degree in Biology, Engineering, Medicine or a related discipline and upper-intermediate English level accredited through an International Certificate (ALTE 3 o B2) or able to accredit it during the first semester of the program. They must also show strong interest in the intersection between these disciplines.
Applicants should apply, sending the documentation required to firstname.lastname@example.org before January 6th, 2019 at 23:59hrs.
Previous conversations with professors with the program will be strongly valued in the selection process. For this reason, it is suggested to get in contact with IBME professors before sending the required documents.
- Notarial copy of university degree, original ranking certification and pertinent grades for each university title obtained. In case of foreign applicants, it must precise the evaluation scale used and minimum score of approval. In addition, foreign academic background certification, rankings and grades must be legalised by a Chilean Consulate in the country of origin;
- Application form (personal details, academic activity, graduate teaching, research activities, publications and other relevant information);
- Original current international certification of English level ALTE 3 or B2 at the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. Applications without the certification will be accepted in this opportunity, however accepted candidates will have until June the 28th 2019 to obtain the certificate;
- Written declaration of purpose explaining the motivations to apply to the Master of Science Program, academic goals and potential supervisor;
- Two reference letters that must be sent directly by the referees to the Master’s Committee (email@example.com);
- Copy of the RUT (both sides) or passport (first page and a copy of the Visa);
- Financial support request letter (if applicable).
Due to the short notice for the applications, please do contact the program if you need more time to present this documents.
The students will be selected according to the following criteria:
Candidates invited to the interview will be notified by email. The interview can be in person or remotely and will be conducted in English by the Master’s Program Committee. At the interview, applicants are expected to speak about their previous knowledge, abilities and motivation.
The dedication to the Master of Science in Biological and Medical Engineering is exclusive and has a duration of three semesters with a total of 140 “UC credits”:
– 70 credits in core courses (in English).
– 30 credits in elective courses.
– 40 credits in the final degree project: Thesis (in English or Spanish).
Graduates of the Master of Science in Biological and Medical Engineering must be able to:
– Develop and implement solutions to complex problems which require simultaneous application of interdisciplinary knowledge provided by Engineering, Medicine and Biology, from their solid scientific and technological training.
– Promote technological transfer towards society through professional processes and research generated in industry, academy or through independent and innovative technological entrepreneurships.
– Participate in interdisciplinary research groups and develop relevant experimental or/and theoretical research to the society or to the academy.
– Communicate efficiently orally and in writing to the scientific community and the whole society.
– Develop their research and professional work in the interdisciplinary field of Biological and Medical Engineering, and their interaction with the society and the environment with ethical responsibility.
Fees & Scholarships
The fee of the Master of Science in Biological and Medical Engineering is $5.000.000 (CLP) per year. The Institute for Biological and Medical Engineering will give partial scholarships (from 20 to 80% of the fee) based on the particular socioeconomic situation of the applicant and his/her academic merit. To apply for this benefit, you should send a letter explaining the request for scholarship. This document will be analysed by the Master’s Programs Committee that might request further information or documents.